Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"It would hold 8 kids and 4 hound dogs and the piggy we stole from the shed"

I am having one of those days so this post will ramble - there is a reason for Doug's pictures - and hopefully my thoughts will come full circle and make sense.

Music is very important to me, I can associate almost every memory with a song. Sometimes it what song happened to be playing when an event happened, sometimes it's a song that reminds me of a certain time. Doug - gotta luv him - doesn't pay any attention to lyrics but that's what gets my attention.

I have been having "ish-yooz" (as the bunnies would say) with sleeping. My mind has been racing a million miles an hour for obvious reasons (see yesterday's post) as well as some undisclosed ones. I have found that listening to music when I go to sleep helps. The other night it was John Denver. His music reminds me of my childhood - my parents used to listen to him, and I find his lyrics very visual. It is very calming and happy.

When we moved from Wisconsin my "theme song" was Drive by Incubus. It helped me keep motivated. As far as yesterday's post, I am still in the OMG is this real stage, and trying to convince Doug that I can handle it - have I mentioned I don't do well with change? *big grin*.

I know I am about to get a little sappy, but when I got in the car today to go pick up Doug's prescription "Still the One" was on the radio. I have always thought this would be a perfect song to play at our 50th Anniversary and it just makes me smile every time I hear it because it IS Doug and Me. And it seemed appropriate with what is going on.

STILL THE ONE (Orleans)


We've been together since way back when

Sometimes I never want to see you again

But I want you to know, after all these years

You're still the one I want whisperin' in my ear


You're still the one I want to talk to in bed

Still the one that turns my head

We're still having fun, and you're still the one

I looked at your face every day But I never saw it 'til I went away

When winter came, I just wanted to go Deep in the desert,

I longed for the snow

You're still the one that makes me laugh

Still the one that's my better half

We're still having fun, and you're still the one

You're still the one that makes me strong

Still the one I want to take along

We're still having fun, and you're still the one
Changing, our love is going gold

Even though we grow old, it grows new


You're still the one that I love to touch

Still the one and I can't get enough

We're still having fun, and you're still the one


You're still the one who can scratch my itch

Still the one and I wouldn't switch

We're still having fun, and you're still the one


You are still the one that makes me shout

Still the one that I dream about We're still having fun, and you're still the one...

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

Listening to music as I fall asleep works for me, too. It makes me reflect on memories associated with the songs and I forget to think about the stuff that has been keeping me awake.
Hey, whatever works, right?

8/29/2006  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Try CNN - puts me to sleep!

I'm a night owl. moreso because my DH snores like a lumberjack, so I stay up until I'm ready to drop, otherwise I'll lay in bed for hours with my mind racing listening to him.

I think you're on the right track with deciding if you want to make the move - continue with your list of pros and cons - that should make your decision easier, maybe?

What was your wedding song?

8/30/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Susan - It does help. I have a playlist on my iPod for "Sleep Music" now :))

Laura - CNN would irritate me, I find some of the hosts so unbelievably annoying. I do love Anderson Cooper though - but he's not CNN is he? Can't recall atm.

Our wedding song - "Ball and Chain" by Johnny Cash :))) No not really. Our wedding was very informal on a bridge in a park in WI and there wasn't any music. I like to remember the moment with this song by The Cowboy Junkies though:

She placed her ring on the sill
Dishes piled high
She's on the front porch step
And the air smells like snow
She's thinking of the siege to come
And how she'll miss those weekends in the park
With the sun on her face, and her book by her side
And that lingering taste that he left on her tounge

He lifts his glass from the table
It leaves a ring where it stood
He sees a light from a window
Caress her like he knows he should
He's remembering the first time he kissed her
And how he'd wake and immediately he'd miss her
Like a spell, with each breath
He'd taste her breath like a haunting
Irritating as hell

Do you remember when you prayed you'd never see the day
Someone would make you feel this way
'Cause you knew it would cut right through you
Once inside, you were afraid they'd find
Nothing to hold on to

He puts her ring on her finger
She brushes back his hair
He takes a sip from his glass
She inhales the cold fall air
They're thinking of the long road ahead
And the strength that they'll need just to reach the end
And there in the silence, they search for the balance
Between this fear that they feel
And a love that has graced their lives

9/01/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

P.S. It occurred to me that the lyrics to that song don't sound so positive so I must explain myself a bit. For me, it's the feeling of love through the whole song, the reality of life. Things are mundane, life gets routine, but the last line is so perfect.

9/01/2006  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Your wedding sounds nice and the song too. Very practical, realistic.

Our song was "Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrison. Do you know it?

9/01/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Laura - I love Van Morrison. "Into the Mystic" is one of my most favorite songs. "Have I told you lately" is on my sleep playlist :))) A beautiful song.

9/02/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home