Saturday, August 19, 2006

Gluttonous Maximus

Chandler is all about food. He is supposed to weigh between 30 and 35 lbs. He is 32 now and has been for some years, but in his younger days he tipped the scale at a whopping 56lbs. This isn't the picture I was looking for but it will do - you can see how small his head looks compared to his body. He was a snausage and a half.

Over the years he has learned that little children are easy marks, little walking buffets, and it's like......taking candy from a baby :) His first experience with children was when I was in the hospital having Morgan. My boss at the time had 3 young boys and he and his wife were considering getting a dog. So they asked if they could watch Chandler and sort of have a "test drive" before making the leap. Holly was outside with the boys and had just given the youngest a PB&J when she heard Connor crying. She turned around to see that Chandler had knocked him down, was standing on his back, eating the PB&J sandwich still clutched in Connor's little hand. Naughty dog.

To fully appreciate the second PB&J story, I must explain that Chandler is very sassy to me. He talks back all the time and sounds absolutely vicious but wouldn't hurt a fly. He has a time out chair for when he's bad, and he will go to it when told but he grumbles and growls and snarles the whole way, kind of like a child stamping their feet when being sent to their room.

We were rushed one evening because Morgan had swim lessons and I was waiting for my last child to be picked up from daycare. I quickly fixed Morgan a PB&J for dinner while we waited. Beth arrived to pick Brandon up and while I was talking to her out of the corner of my eye I saw Chandler grab Morgan's sandwich. I excused myself for a moment and crawled under the table, pried open Chandler's mouth, stuck my hand all the way in to retrieve the sandwich. All the while he's making a horrible ruckus, just sounding like a rabid wolf - foaming and everything. I won, threw the PB&J in the trash and apologized to Beth, who was standing there wide eyed in disbelief. "I can't believe you just did that and he didn't bite you" to which I replied "He may be sassy but he's not dumb" LOL.

He has always been like this with food, I don't know why. He would eat himself into a coma if you let him. He's awful about begging and will make the most of every opportunity. It' not like he's ever missed a meal in his life so why he behaves this way is beyond me. Peyton is the complete opposite, takes his time eating, and will sometimes leave food in the bowl. He begs too, but not the way Chan does.

3 Comments:

Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

You really made me laugh with this, Michelle! I can just picture Chandler knocking over and holding down that little one! omg! Did they get a dog after that??

And your daycare mom was probably amazed at your bravery and a little concerned for the safety of her kid with a growling, hungry Chandler around!

Thanks for sharing this story.

8/20/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Glad you got a chuckle :) It makes him sound like a nasty little dog but really he's a sweetheart, just very food orientated!

8/20/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chandler is a darling. I'm glad he's doing well. But Peyton thinks he's a rabbit. How does he feel about all those rabbits on the downstairs landing?

2/14/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home