Sunday, August 27, 2006


Tomato Sandwiches

Being a good southern girl, I love vegetables. Now don't mistake liking vegetables with being healthy after what the south does to them - fried squash, fried okra, fried tomatoes, any kind of peas or beans have to be cooked with bacon or ham and the fattier the better - my Grandmother used to save the grease in a jar and reuse it - yeah, really healthy. But I do love tomato sandwiches. Just plain white bread, mayo, really ripe tomatoes (homegrown being the best), and lots of pepper and some salt.

I didn't grow any veggies this year, but the grocery for once had decent looking vine-ripened tomatoes the other day and I picked some up. I fixed my tasty sandwich and was looking forward to it when Doug (a Wisconsinite with no clue about southern foods) says "Wow! That looks good, but I bet it would be better with bacon and lettuce". Well then it wouldn't BE a tomato sandwich anymore would it??? I would be a BLT. But he failed to understand this. This is the sort of logic I have lived with for years :))

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

My grandma used to save the grease, too! She would fry our eggs in the bacon grease...sigh...can't do that anymore, can we?
The 'maters look good!

8/27/2006  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

We're thinking alike today, Michelle!

I love a tomato sandwich too, the bacon and lettuce is nice, but makes it a whole 'nother thing!

My DH's family is southern, too. They eat some strange things. Do you put ketchup on your green beans? My DH claims that's a southern thing he does. I say yuck to that!

8/27/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

I have little use for ketchup, but heaven knows my child loves it.

Southerners put ketchup and tobasco on everything from eggs to green beans :) Luckily something I never picked up!!!

8/28/2006  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

I drown hamburgers in ketchup - oh and I like it on eggs, too. But greens beans?

Must be to hide the taste.

8/28/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home