Friday, August 18, 2006

"If I Only Had A Brain...."

I used to be organized. I used to make lists. Lately life has gotten away from me and I feel completely scatter-brained. It seems that the less one has to do, the less one actually does. When I was working full time, I would think "Gee, there are so many projects I would like to do" or "my house would be cleaner if I didn't work". Not true. Not true at all. I call it being overwhelmed at being underwhelmed. LOL. Take today for instance, should be cleaning and doing laundry, but Morgan and I watched a movie instead and now here I sit at the computer :)

I do still work, I have my own business, but it takes little of my time really. Problem is that it's chaotic and random. I am at the mercy of the fax machine. I find myself running to check it every time it rings, or cringing because I thought I was done for the day. In reality I need to just set aside the SAME time everyday to do my work and just let the fax go if it's not during that period.

It seems silly to make a list for only five or so things, but there is that permanence of putting it on paper that makes you *have* to do those things. And the sense of accomplishment as you cross them off. So, I have decided to force myself to begin making a to-do list everyday, even if I don't get it all done, at least it's there - glaring at me - and I can't ignore it.

I wish I was the kind of person who doesn't fret over such things, but I do. I hate change, I can't stand it when things aren't in order, and yet I find myself letting the small things pile up until I don't even know where to begin.

Soooooooo, I am off to make my list ;) Looking around my office here, I think it should be first, but laundry and the dust bunnies are calling too LOL.

3 Comments:

Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

You are sooo right about doing less when there's less you have to do!

When I was teaching full-time and had the summers off those 2 months would fly by so quickly. Now I imagine all the things I could get done with two months' time. I work best under pressure and if there's no pressure - nothing gets done. lol!

Ever tried flylady?

8/18/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/18/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Patricia posted about Flylady once - I will have to check it out again.

8/19/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home