Monday, August 14, 2006

Pheobe?!?!?!?!?!

Sweet Sweet Paulie. His story is the same as Jack's with a twist. He came home with me that Saturday because he was bonded to Jack. The woman that was surrendering them had to move back home with her parents and they were being kept outside. She had Jack neutered but not Pheobe. When I got home with the two, Doug picked Pheobe up and said "This isn't a girl bunny". I immediately concurred and called Eileen. We had a good laugh about two "supposedly" rabbit saavy people never even thinking to look. We just took the lady's word for it that Pheobe was indeed female. So, in my not so creative way, I re-named him Paul.

It's funny that Jack was the reason they were adopted, but Paulie is my buddy. Just such a sweetheart. He runs to greet my every morning, and just loves to be petted. He kind of reminds me of Peyton da Basset Hound sometimes, he seems a little slow but has nothing but love to offer.

Paulie was my first experience with a teenage unneutered male. Ugh. My vet was on maternity leave and we had to wait three loooooooooong months. It was gross, smelly, nasty, awful. Well worth the money to have him fixed, I wish people would understand that.

He and Jack became unbonded that first year, it was the first time I ever heard a rabbit scream. And I hope I never do again. I have been able to get them back together, they spend their nights apart, but are together all day until we go to bed and that seems to work for them.

Paul had a freak accident in January (fell off of his critter castle) and fractured his spine. He had *very* little use of his back legs. He was put on lockdown in a tiny cage for 6 weeks, steroids, and pain meds. I am happy to say that he has made a full recovery :) and loving life being back with Jack. However, since his injury he has some issues with leaving pooties everywhere at night. Not sure why it's only at night, maybe because Jack is in the condo and he's not. I dunno. But it drives me mad because he used to have such good habits. Oh well, I am just glad he's better.

2 Comments:

Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Glad that Paulie is doing well since his tumble from the castle.

How ever did that happen - did you ever figure out? Scary!

Funny that the two boys can be together during the day, but not at night. I've often thought to try that with Missy and Freckles, so that at least they'll have some compnay at times.

8/15/2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Best we can figure, he jumped up on the top and it teetered and fell over. We had just gone to bed and all we heard was a loud crash, when I went into the room the castle was on it's side.

I know it goes against all the *bonding rules* to seperate them but it works for these guys. They seem to need time apart. Worth a try with Missy and Freckles when you are home.

8/15/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home